Thursday, November 22, 2012

Quick Crochet Projects

I was chatting with my mother in law last week about Thanksgiving dinner and the festivities.  She mentioned she was going to do some sort of an auction and for me to bring a few things to share.  Her only instructions were that I was not allowed to buy anything and to get creative with it!  Amazingly, a few ideas came to mind almost immediately.  I did have a few other things planned but took a fall on Monday, bruising my left hand badly forcing me to take a break Monday and Tuesday.

Luckily, I had completed most of the items I was planning on bringing and finally today (Wednesday) was able to put the final touches on everything.  For only a few hours total work for everything, I'm pretty pleased with the results.  
Colorful Wine Markers with bag
Nesting Bowls



 The first thing I knew I wanted to make was a set of nesting bowls.  I had just enough yarn in three different colors that all happened to be the same type of yarn.  I don't even know where this came from, just some left over I had sitting in my stash.  First up, I had this mix of green/blue/brown that I used to make the smallest bowl.


 Then I used some of this lovely red/purple mix to make the middle bowl.

And finally, I used a cream/tan mix to make the largest of the three bowls.

When I was I had a cute little set of three that all fit inside one another.




Pleased with myself I set out to make something a little different for the next gift.  

I had this idea to make some wine glass markers while I was working up a few snowflake coasters.  There were a few patterns I found online but not quite what I was looking for so I grabbed a small ball of yarn, a smaller hook and a wine glass.  I had made a scarf recently for a friend (note to self: remember to mail that scarf!) that had a curl to it.  I thought if I could replicate that it would look cute on the stem of a wine glass.  

Within a few minutes I had the first marker completed and formed a plan for the rest.  I ended up making a nifty little curly bit that wraps around the stem of a wine glass; the genius of it is that the design allows it to fit just about any wine glass. I knew I wanted to make a small bag to go with them for storing them all when not in use too.  I didn't have a plan for colors just that I wanted them all to be different.  

I went to bed Sunday night feeling quite accomplished having completed the nesting bowls and coming up with a plan for the set of wine markers.  Unfortunately, Monday morning I fell in our drive way and bruised my left hand quite badly.  Fortunately it was not broken!!  I was instructed to keep it wrapped for the next few weeks but to be sure to remove it nightly.  While I was thrilled it was not broken I was worried I wouldn't be able to finish the wine markers and bag in time.  I didn't touch anything Monday or Tuesday but finally did feel up to finishing on Wednesday.  

I dug into my stash of yarn and found any small ball of yarn I had until I had filled up the large wire bowl I had brought with me.  I ended up picking about 16 different colors.  I set to work on making the markers first.  They are so super quick and easy that didn't take long at all.  Before I knew it, the glass I had been using to hold them was overflowing.




 Once I finished all the markers, I found some brown yarn from another left over project and created a small bag with a tie to hold them all.  I grabbed a sage green yarn to make the tie and weaved into the top of the bag.  *I just realized I didn't get a picture of the bag tied closed, I'll have to take one and add it in.*

For the few hours spent I'm quite pleased with the results!  I really hope the family likes them as well. 


This post has been linked to the Clever Chicks Blog Hop:
The Chicken Chick


No comments:

Post a Comment