Sunday, July 15, 2012

'Tiffany Box' Blue Baby Blanket

Good friends of our are expecting their first baby, a little girl, next month.  We are super excited for them and can't wait to meet her!  We have been friends with the dad-to-be for almost 15 years and mom-to-be for quite a few as well.  When they got married a few years ago, they had a 'Tiffany box' blue wedding with white accents and it was so beautiful.  


isn't this cake GORGEOUS!?  it was delicious too. :)


When we found out they were expecting a girl I decided a blanket with those colors was in order for this special little one.  I love to crochet and am always looking to try new designs in my blankets.  I wanted to mimic the small square boxes and incorporate the white accents of a Tiffany box but I needed just the right color blue. 




After some searching I found the perfect yarn! I chose Caron brand Simply Soft in Blue Mint and then white for accenting.  
Yarn used. Blue Mint and White by Caron brand Simply Soft.


When each of our kiddos was born several of my aunts made them blankets, one of them was just the stitch I was looking for.  Perfect little squares!  My plan was starting to come together now.  


One of Savannah's baby blankets, this is the stitch I was looking to replicate.
After staring at it for a few minutes, I was able to duplicate it pretty easily.  I just guessed on the size and it ended up being almost the same size as the ones the kids have which is just right.  


I decided to use the blue as the main color and the white as accents. I'm really pleased with how it came out.  
blanket, waiting for the finishing touches.




After I crocheted the blanket itself I had to add in the 'twisties' (as my oldest calls them).  
close up of side twisties


We did these together and decided on three white strands with one blue all around expect in the corners where we reversed that by using three blue and one white. 
Corner of blanket


completed blanket with twisties, folded.






completed blanket, laid out in full.  
The blanket was an absolute HIT at the shower and I know their baby girl will get lots of use out of it.  I had so much fun making this design this may become my new go-to baby blanket pattern.  :)





If anyone would like the pattern just let me know, I didn't use one but could write out directions on how I made this if there was interest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment